All Very Quiet At Regina Line – Kid Speed

Nothing has been heard from Regina Line since the end of September. The operator has been planning to restore the ferry link between the UK and Scandinavia.

Also, the MyFerryLink/Eurotunnel competition case is back in court. Swedish truckers protest after paltry fine for foreign driver found with fake papers. Gothenburgers protest plans to keep congestion charge. A driver was car-jacked on the A5 in Portugal. EU official calls Calais Migrant Crisis ‘not so bad’.

.

ALL VERY QUIET AT REGINA LINE

A round up of progress on re-establishing the ferry route between the UK and Scandinavia.

IMG_1516

It has all gone very quiet at Regina Line.

The start-up ferry operator was intending to launch a new service between Esbjerg and Harwich in Spring 2015, a direct replacement for the DFDS service withdrawn in September.

However, two recent requests for updates have gone unanswered while the company’s Facebook page has not been updated since the end of September.

The obvious inference is that Regina Line has quietly dropped its plans.

If so, it means there is no immediate prospect of a ferry service between the UK and Scandinavia.

As predicted, the Scottish Parliament motion from Angus MacDonald MSP did gain the cross-party support it needs to get a debate in the house – hopefully early next year – but, even if it gets government backing, it will be some time before a Scotland-Scandinavia service gets off the ground.

Meanwhile, we understand there is plenty of activity behind the scenes at Norwegian Seaways – the operator hoping to set up a service between Newcastle, Stavanger and Bergen – but there’s no solid news to report.

On a brighter note, the Ferry to Norway campaign continues to gather support with 2,500 potential passengers filling in the online questionnaire.

Meanwhile, earlier this month Stena Line reported a large upswing in the number of Danish passengers using its Harwich-Hook of Holland service since the DFDS Denmark service ended.

Numbers have grown by 200% though the company did not say how many passengers this represents.

.

Police in the South of France were surprised to find a teenage boy behind the wheel of this Nissan GTR after it sped past them at 212kmh (130mph) yesterday. The seventeen year old was flashed by mobile radar on the N88 at Yssingeaux south west of St Etienne. Drivers caught at more than 40kmh over the speed limit normally face having their licences taken away on the spot, though not in this case as the young lad hasn’t yet passed his test.

Police in the South of France were surprised to find a teenage boy behind the wheel of this Nissan GT-R after it sped past them at 212kmh (130mph) yesterday. The seventeen year old was flashed by mobile radar on the N88 at Yssingeaux south west of St Etienne. Drivers caught at more than 40kmh over the speed limit normally face having their licences taken away on the spot, though not in this case as the young lad hasn’t yet passed his test.

.

roundup: DOVER-CALAIS COMPETITION. The MyFerryLink/Eurotunnel legal battle comes to a head – probably – with a two day hearing at the Competition Appeal Tribunal starting today. Eurotunnel has said it is unlikely to pursue further appeals should the case go against it again. A final decision is not expected for another month. SWEDEN. A Macedonian truck driver let off with a €40 fine after being discovered with fake papers – driving licence and passport – has sparked outrage. Local truck drivers will hold 15 minute stoppages each day until Christmas in protest. More than 4,000 people have signed a petition. Meanwhile, in Gothenburg, around 5,000 people attended a demo on Saturday against council plans to keep the city’s congestion zone despite 57% voting against in a recent referendum. A package of transport improvements is dependent on the revenue. Both stories via Radio Sweden. PORTUGAL. A driver says he was car-jacked on the A5 Cascais-Lisbon on Thursday morning. After being nudged from behind he stopped and was beaten, tied up and bundled back inside before escaping from the moving vehicle says Portugal News. EU. A few days after two migrants burned to death in the back of a truck, a director of the EU’s border agency Frontex tells Euractiv the situation in Calais ‘does not seem so bad’. Gil Arias-Fernandez also says he has not received any requests for help from the French authorities.

.

Have Your Say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s